Forgotten Opera Singers

Forgotten Opera Singers

Jun 16, 2015

Antonina Panina (Mezzo-Soprano) (Penza, Russia 1870 - Minsk, Belarus 1941)



From 1893 to 1900 she studied singing at the Saint Petersburg Conservatory under N. A. Iretskaya and made her debut in 1900 at the Mariinsky Theatre of St. Petersburg as Martha in ''Faust''. She made guest appearances in Kazan (1908), Ekaterinodar and Helsinki. In the 1920-1923 seasons she was a soloist of the Tbilisi Opera and Ballet Theatre. Later she appeared in Baku. In 1900 she created for Russia the part of  Grimgerda in ''Die Walküre''. In 1913 she created for the Mariinsky Theatre the part of Suzuki in ''Madama Butterfly''.

Chronology of some appearances

1900-1919 St. Petersburg Mariinsky Theatre

RECORDINGS FOR SALE










G&T, St Petersburg 1907
Eugen Onegin (Tchaikovsky): In your house with Ekaterina Orel, Nikolai Bolshakov and Leonid Savransky 24499 6465L
The Queen of Spades (Tchaikovsky) Ah, now I will sing a song... Dear friends with chorus 2-23122 4991L



















3 comments:

  1. Do you know of a Madame Rosalie from St. Petersburg in the 1950's ? She is alive and I visit her. I would like to make a CD of her recordings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am searching for some recordings of some distant cousin of my great-grand-father, her name was Alice Regina Nikitina, who became an opera singer after being a famous ballerina in Diaghilev's balles russes. I know that she sang "O Goddess wise" in Gibert ans Sullivan's "Princess Ida" (in the title role)and she also sang in a Verdi opera. Would you please help me? It would be a thrilling experience for me to hear one of my famous ancestor singing...

    ReplyDelete